Visual Design Program
The Associate in Science Degree in Visual Design is intended to prepare students for transfer to 4-year design schools and for entry into the field of visual design. This program is comparable to the first two years of a typical four-year design program. It provides students with rigorous foundation and design courses, and pragmatic experience. Working through the program, students will produce a portfolio of design work that demonstrates their preparedness in industry-standard technical and visual-thinking skills essential for transfer into undergraduate design programs, and entry-level jobs.
Prerequisites: Writing Skills II (ENG-095) and Foundations of Mathematics (MAT-093). (Grade of C or better)
Visual Design Option program of study
Graduates of this program will produce a portfolio of design work demonstrating foundation and entry-level skills and knowledge needed for careers in fields such as: advertising, print and digital book design, editorial design, environmental design, experience design, identity design, illustration, information design, in-house design, interaction design, motion graphics, packaging, print design, product design, typography, UX design, and web design.
Upon Completion of this concentration Graduates will be able to
- Approach visual design as a responsive process of problem identification, ideation, and creation.
- Apply design skills in typography, color, image, form, and materials to print and digital media projects.
- Produce portfolio content that is suitable for applying to four-year design programs, internships, and design-related employment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in software applications for drawing, image editing, and layout.
- Use industry standard procedures to produce files and materials for print and digital production.
- Plan and execute projects to meet deadlines and design objectives.
- Practice effective communication and presentation skills necessary to engage in professional visual design practice.
- Engage in creative and analytical discourse about design in order to communicate concepts to colleagues and clients.
- Cultivate habits of life-long learning and creativity.