Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Work Study Program

Bunker Hill Community College participates in the Federal College Work-Study Program. Eligible students may receive funds from this program as a result of the financial aid application process. Federal program regulations require that a percentage of these funds be earmarked to community service-related work. Check with the Financial Aid Office for a listing of available Work-Study positions.

Please read the Federal Work Study Handbook 2019-2020.

Qualifying for Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study is a need-based federal program that is part of your financial aid package. You must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Aid) Form to be eligible for Work Study. The program provides students with part time on/off campus employment. Funds for this program are awarded to eligible students as part of financial aid process.

On/Off Campus Work Study and the Pay Rate

With a Work Study job, you can work part-time on or off campus.  Available work study jobs will be available online at GradLeaders and posted outside of Room B213. Jobs are updated regularly. Hourly pay rate for on-campus and off-campus work study positions pay $12.75 per hour.  Students returning for a second year in the same position may earn $13.00 per hour at the Supervisor’s discretion. It is your responsibility for your own job search either on-campus or off-campus. You should contact the Supervisor listed in the job posting to set up an interview. Based on hours worked, students are paid bi-weekly during the academic year. You are allowed to work up to a maximum of 18.5 hours per week.

FWS Employment Authorization Form

All students must have a completed W-4, I-9 and Employment Authorization Form on file with Student Central at the B-Building Lobby, before they can start working either on-campus or off-campus. You must provide original documentation that proves you are eligible to work in the United States.  

Examples of acceptable documents are:

  1. Your unexpired U.S. Passport or Alien Registration Card
  2. Driver's License and Social Security Card
  3. Bunker Hill Community College ID and Social Security Card
  4. Driver's License and U.S. Birth Certificate
  5. Bunker Hill Community College ID and U.S. Birth Certificate

Upon completion of the W-4 and providing an acceptable documents to Student Central at the B-Building Lobby, you will be given an Employment Authorization Form.

Download the W-4 Form

Complete Hiring Process

You and your supervisor must sign the Employment Authorization Form and you must bring the completed form to Student Central at the B-Building Lobby.

Once completed and signed Work Authorization Form has been returned to Student Central at the B-Building Lobby, only then you can begin your work study job either on/off campus work.

Direct Deposit

If you are hired and would like to have your paycheck directly deposited to a bank account, please complete the Payroll Authorization For Direct Deposit Into Employee’s Account/Accounts form and bring it to Student Central at the B-Building Lobby.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Work Study Program


  1. APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID AND HAVE UNMET NEED:Start by completing your FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov and turning in all required documents.  Your file will be reviewed, which can take two to three weeks and you will receive an award notification.  Unmet need means that your financial aid is not covering your full Cost of Attendance, including living expenses.  Students that are eligible for the Pell grant and Mass Cash generally have unmet need.  If you are borrowing loans, you may not have unmet need.  Please check with Student Central at the B-Building Lobby if you are unsure.
  2. COMPLETE WORK STUDY DOCUMENTS:  Before you can begin working, you must complete  I-9, W-4, and direct deposit forms and submit them to Student Central at the B-Building Lobby.  These documents must be completely and legibly filled out.  Your I-9 is not complete until your identity documents have been provided and verified.  Please keep in mind that a Work Study Contract will not be processed for you until these documents are complete! 

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will get a job.  There are a limited number of positions and many students that apply. Start your job search early in the semester for the best chance of finding employment. 

You can apply for jobs online at GradLeaders and follow these steps:

  1. Go to bhcc.edu/GradLeaders
  2. Use your BHCC email and password
  3. Enter basic information
    1. Enter your cell phone carrier (the domain name will populate for you)
    2. Enter a preferred/alternative email address to your BHCC address
    3. Opt in to receive text alerts for important reminders
    4. Click “Save” and then “Continue”
    5. Click “Submit Profile”.  You must complete this step in order for your information to be saved into the system
    6. Log in and go to “Job and Internship Search” and select “Work Study” under position type

Occasionally, jobs are also posted on the bulletin board beside the Financial Aid Office. The best time to look for jobs is at the start of each semester.  After the start of the semester, open jobs tend to be fewer, but be sure to check the website frequently as new jobs are added as they become available.  It is the student’s responsibility to apply for available jobs and meet with supervisors. The Financial Aid Office does not assign jobs.

Students in their first year of working as a FWS student employee are paid $12.75 per hour.  Students in their second year of working in the same position may be paid $13 per hour.

BHCC pays its employees every other week.  A schedule is below.

Pay Schedule for the 2019-2020 Academic Year

Fall 2019 Pay Schedule

July 12
July 26
August 9
August 23
September 6
September 20
October 4
October 18
November 1
November 15
November 29
December 13
December 27

Spring 2020 Pay Schedule

January 10
January 24
February 7
February 21
March 6
March 20
April 3
April 17
May 1
May 15
May 29
June 12
June 26

With direct deposit forms, students have their checks automatically sent to their bank accounts.


FWS positions carry all the responsibilities of a part-time job.  You must work with your supervisor to set up a work schedule and complete the duties assigned to you.  You may not work more than 18.5 hours per week and you may not work during your scheduled class times.  You will need to keep track of your hours worked and earnings to be sure that you are utilizing your FWS award budget in a way that works for you and your supervisor.  While you can request a budget increase, there is no guarantee that you will receive one, so use your hours wisely!  The guide below gives you some tips for making the most of your FWS experience.

You should report your hours each week through the state’s online payroll system http://www.mass.gov/anf/employment-equal-access-disability/hr-policies/masshr/.  Be sure to report your hours each Thursday, so that your supervisor has time to approve your hours before the payroll deadline.  Reporting your hours late may result in your pay being delayed up to two weeks.

It depends.  Completing your required FWS paperwork quickly and completely will help us add you to the College payroll as quickly as possible.   You should not start working before all of your paperwork is complete and returned to Student Central at the B-Building Lobby.  It can take up to three weeks for you to get your first paycheck.

Under Federal Work Study (FWS) you are allowed to earn up to a total of $3000 for the academic year (fall and spring).  Once you have earned the full amount, you must stop working.  In some cases, your department may be able to hire you through their departmental budget after you have earned your full FWS award total.  Please check with your supervisor before you earn your FWS award total, so that you can plan together.

You and your supervisor have the most up-to-date information on how many hours you have worked and how much you have earned.  If you have lost track, you can contact the financial aid office and they will give you an update, as of the most recent payroll report available.  Keep in mind that this number may not include hours that have been reported after the last pay date and you will need to add those in to get a complete picture of your earnings. 

Yes, you can request an increase, but it is not guaranteed that it will be approved.  The FWS budget is set by the federal government and BHCC has a finite amount of money to use.  Once that money is used, the Financial Aid Office cannot approve further increases to student awards.  Also, the Financial Aid Office will need to review your individual financial aid award to determine if you meet the criteria for an increase.  Students with Expected Family Contributions (EFCs) over 5000, loan borrowers, and students with large institutional or outside grants may not qualify for an increase of their FWS award.  If you are interested in requesting an increase, please work with your supervisor to submit a Change of Status form.