Bunker Hill Community College

Bunker Hill Community College Mobile and Tablet Version

Academic Advising

Advising & LifeMap provides an array of academic advising services including teaching students how to monitor their academic progress and use BHCCselfservice to plan and register for courses, facilitating workshops on strategies to be successful in college, and providing referrals to other student support services.

Newly Accepted Students - Attend Advising and Registration

After applying for admission, newly accepted students receive a “” New Student Enrollment Checklist that includes information about meeting with an Advisor and registering for classes.

Students who are interested in applying to the College and/or have questions about transferring into BHCC should contact Admissions at 617-228-3398 or admissions@bhcc.edu.

Academic advisors are available for all currently accepted certificate and degree-seeking students at BHCC, and students enrolled in English as a Second Language courses.

Students are assigned an academic advisor during their first semester.  You will be assigned to:
  • an ESL instructor - for students enrolled in English as a Second Language courses,
  • a specific faculty member in your Department (when available),
  • an Academic Department (example: Biology and Chemistry Department)
  • the Advising Center (Advising & LifeMap) - for Liberal Arts majors
  • your Learning Community Seminar Instructor & Success Coach

The name of your assigned Advisor is in your online student account Self-Service within the Advising tab in the Plan & Schedule section.

An Advisor's role includes helping students plan their academic course load, monitoring their academic progress, and serving as a resource for career planning and making referrals to other academic and student support services. Check your BHCC e-mail daily for information on group advising sessions (for students assigned to an Academic Department) and other important advising related announcements.

Reading, Writing and Math Placement by High School GPA

If you graduated from high school, you may be able to take advantage of the State of Massachusetts  Common Assessment Policy. This policy exempts students from taking the College Placement Test (CPT) and places students into the appropriate Math and/or English course based on their cumulative high school grade point average.

Reading, Writing and Math Placement by High School GPA