English Language Learning Programs
BHCC offers a range of English Language Learning (ELL) programs to meet the needs of English language learners. These programs include Beginner to Intermediate non-credit community education classes through our Adult Education (AE) and Basic English Language Learning (BELL) Programs; High Beginner to High Intermediate noncredit community education classes through our Intensive English Program (IEP); and Intermediate to Advanced courses through our Academic English Language Learning (ELL) Program that enable students to earn college credit toward completion of an associate degree program. Learn more about each program below.
|Program||Basic English Language Learning||Adult Education|
|Focus||Vocational English||HiSET Spanish
ELL students seeking to Transition to College
ELL looking to improve economic mobility
|Levels offered||Beginner - Intermediate||Beginner - High Intermediate|
|Credit / Non-credit||Non-credit||Non-credit|
|Part-time / Full-time||Part-time||Part-time|
|Term length||15 weeks (semester)||30 weeks (2 semesters)|
|Hours per week||4||6|
|Schedule||Day, Evening, Weekend||Day, Evening, and Saturday|
|Financial aid available?||No||N/A|
|Sponsorship for F-1 visa?||No||No|
* Must meet eligibility requirements
English for Academic Purposes
|Program||Intensive English||Academic English Language Learning|
|Focus||Short-term study||Degree-seeking students|
|Levels offered||High Beginner - High Intermediate||Intermediate - Advanced|
|Credit / Non-credit||Non-credit||Credit|
|Part-time / Full-time||Full-time||6 credits of student’s full-time or
part-time college schedule
|Term length||7 weeks (term)||15 weeks (semester)|
|Hours per week||20||6|
|Schedule||Day**||Day, Evening or Weekend|
|Cost||$1,115/term||In-state: $1,320 / 6 credits
Out-of-state: $2,556 / 6 credits
|Financial aid available?||No||Yes***|
|Sponsorship for F-1 visa?||Yes||Yes|
** Intensive weekend options available only through English Study for Au Pairs. For more info, see English Study for Au Pairs.
*** For more information on financial aid eligibility and deadlines, contact Student Central (StudentCentral@bhcc.edu)
Adult Basic Education - Workforce Development Program
- Levels: Beginner to Intermediate non-credit community education classes.
- The Adult Education program provides educational and support services for adults who lack English language and literacy skills and/or do not have a high school diploma.
- Classes prepare English learners for college classes, the boardroom or life in the community. If your goal is to earn a certificate or degree at Bunker Hill Community College, to advance at work or just start to improve your English skills, then the Adult Education Program is for you.
- Schedule: Day, evening, and weekend classes available to accommodate the busy schedules of adult learners.
- Cost: FREE all material is provided; attendance is required
Basic English Language Learning (BELL) Program
- Levels: Beginner to Intermediate Non-credit community education classes.
- Basic English Language Learning (BELL) offerings are non-credit courses intended for students with limited knowledge of the English language who want to advance to Academic ELL courses.
- Classes prepare English learners for college classes, the boardroom or life in the community. If your goal is to earn a certificate or degree at Bunker Hill Community College, to advance at work or just start to improve your English skills, the Basic English Language Learning (BELL) Program is for you.
- Schedule: Day, evening, and weekend classes available. See the full schedule here: https://www.bhcc.edu/bell/
- Cost: $389 Please note, if you are on an F1 Student Visa, this program does not currently qualify.
Intensive English Program
Levels Offered: High Beginner to High Intermediate Noncredit community education classes.
Intensive English is a full-time program. Do you want to improve your English skills in a short period of time? Then Intensive English is for you! In these classes, you will practice your reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. There will also be instruction on grammar, pronunciation, and American culture.
In the Intensive English program, classes run four days a week for seven weeks. Class each day runs five hours. You will receive 20 hours of classroom instruction per week. By the end of seven weeks, you will receive 140 hours of classroom instruction. All classes are taught Tuesday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There is no class on Monday. Times are subject to change based on classroom availability.
- The full cost of a seven-week class is $1,115. You have the option to pay the entire cost before the start of classes at the time of registration, or you can pay in two or three smaller parts throughout the semester, if needed. Tuition does not include the cost of books.
If you are on an F1 Visa, you may apply to the Intensive English program, please contact the International Center for more info.
Levels Offered: Intermediate to Advanced Earn college credit for English Language Learning (ELL) as you prepare for a degree program. In the Academic ELL program, students will develop integrated critical reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in English through immersion in a selected theme, challenging academic content, and campus and/or community-based learning. Students participate in group work and connect the content to their own lives, using language in multiple ways.
Students who successfully complete an ELL course may earn up to 6 credits towards the General Education requirement. Students can take additional college-level courses along with ELL. All courses are 6 credits and are offered during the day, evening, or weekends during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. There are 3 levels of ELL and the program follows the college’s 16-week academic calendar.
Courses are open to all students who place into them including F1 visa holders.
Residents may apply for financial aid. To register: