The Disability Support Services office is scheduling appointments so that you can choose the best option for you.
Here are your options for meeting:
Email, phone, or virtually: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
To request an appointment, please visit:
or you contact us in the following ways: Email: email@example.com Phone: 617-228-2327
Disability Support Services at BHCC
Bunker Hill Community College has developed a program of support services specifically for students who have learning disabilities, sensory impairments, psychological disabilities or physical conditions.
Services, which are coordinated through the Office for Students with Disabilities, may include, but are not limited to, academic and testing accommodations, faculty notification, assistance with adaptive computer technology and accessibility issues, academic advising, and personalized educational coaching. The program is designed to promote interaction among several existing campus resources and personnel. Students are actively involved in decision making regarding their specific needs and are encouraged to work toward increased independence and self-sufficiency.
Students with documented disabilities are eligible for services through Bunker Hill Community College’s Disability Support Services Office (DSS). In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), students seeking reasonable accommodations for a disability are responsible for self-identifying and self-advocating.
If you have a documented disability and anticipate needing accommodations, please contact Disability Support Services at 617-228-2327 or visit by the office located at the Charlestown Campus, Room E 222. Note: Requests for accommodations require dialogue with DSS, medical documentation review and registration with DSS prior to receipt of an accommodation. Accommodations are not retroactive. Students are required to meet each semester with the Office of Disability Services staff to discuss and determine reasonable and effective accommodations and are strongly encouraged to do so prior to the start of each semester.
Available Support Services
Depending upon the student's disability and documentation, the following services are available:
- Classroom Accommodations are available based on your documentation; examples of such accommodations are notetakers and scribes.
- Testing Accommodations are available depending on your documented needs: examples of such accommodations include, but are not limited to, extended time (time and a half), alternative testing formats and/or environments.
- Educational Coaching: A big part of being successful in college is managing your time well and using effective academic strategies. Our Educational Coach is available to help you with time management and study skills, helping you to be more accountable with assignments and projects.
- Assistive Technology: Software programs and hardware/devices are available to assist your needs. For more information please see our Assistive Technology Educator in Room E222, or call 617-228-2327.
- Disability Assessment and Referrals for Diagnostic Testing: Students who suspect the possibility of a learning disability may request referral for screening and assessment through the Office for Students with Disability. Referrals are made to area agencies and specialist depending upon student needs.
- Pre-admission Advising and Assistance with Registration: Navigate BHCC’s many course options with the benefit of the advice of one of our counselors, in order to best meet your learning styles and needs.
- Referral for Academic Support Services: BHCC has many excellent support services and we can point you to those that are appropriate for your needs.
- Consultation with Professors: BHCC strives to help students develop independence and self-advocacy; we’ll help you in your personal journey toward that goal.
- Accessible Textbooks: To request textbooks in accessible format, please fill out and submit a request form.
For questions or assistance, please call 617-228-2234
Services We do NOT Provide
- Personal-care attendants
- Equipment and software for off-campus use
- Learning Disability Testing
- Financial assistance
- Escorts to and from class
- Modified Coursework
Who Can Benefit?
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Visual Impairments
- Hearing Impairments
- Medical Conditions
- Limited Mobility
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Speech Impairments
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Psychological Disabilities
Policy for Individuals with a Disability
Bunker Hill Community College is committed to providing equal access to the educational experience of all students in compliance with Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. A student with a documented disability, who has not already done so, should schedule an appointment at the Office for Students with Disabilities (room E222) in order to obtain appropriate services.